We are bringing back an old favorite to start a new year. This healthier interpretation of the classic Twix Bar, has been a super popular recipe because of its delicious taste and gooeyness. It’s one of my personal all time favorites as well.
I’ve split the recipe into quite a few steps, so by first glance, it might seem a bit overwhelming – but don’t let this scare you, it’s quite easy once you get into it. You blend one layer, and spread it in a pan, blend the next layer, and spread that on top. In the end you cover the bars with your 3-ingredient homemade chocolate, and you’re done!
– INGREDIENTS –
Vanilla Cashew Base:
1/2 cup / 1 dl cashews
1/2 cup / 1 dl almonds
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 pinch sea salt
1/4 cup / 0,5 dl acacia honey
1/2 cup / 1 dl (aprox. 12) dates, pitted
1/4 cup / 1/2 dl peanut butter
1 pinch sea salt
1 tbsp water
Raw Chocolate Shell:
1/2 cup / 1 dl coconut oil
1/2 cup / 1 dl cacao powder
1/4 cup / 1/2 dl acacia honey
1 pinch of salt
– DIRECTIONS –
Vanilla and Cashew Base
- Prepare a small baking tin by lining it with a piece of baking paper.
- Blend cashews and almonds in a food processor until it has turned into a meal. Add sea salt and vanilla powder and blend for a few seconds. Add acacia honey and process until the dough has turned into a ball.
- Spread the vanilla base in the baking tin. It should be approximately 0.3 cm thick.
- Soak dates in hot water for 10 minutes or until soft. Roughly mash dates with a fork.
- Places dates in food processor. Add peanut butter, water and salt. Pulse until the ingredients are blended and mixed well, and has turned into a caramel-like consistency.
Layering the Bars:
- In baking tin with the base, spread an even layer of caramel over the base.
- Set in freezer for an hour or until hardened.
- When frozen cut into long and thin bars. Place in freezer while you make the chocolate.
- Melt coconut oil. Whisk in cacao powder. Whisk in acacia honey and salt.
- Remove bars from freezer and dip them into the raw chocolate using your hands or a spoon – when the bars thaw, this will be harder – so remove them from the freezer in small batches.
- Set them in the freezer for a couple of hours or overnight. Let the bars thaw for 5 minutes before serving them. Enjoy!