Mmmhmmm.. Who doesn’t love a good peanut butter cup? Store-bought peanut butter cups can be a bit pricey though, and it’s hard to know exactly what all those ingredients on the ingredient lists are. So make your own! Their just as good (better actually) and they are super healthy! With only 10 minutes to make, they are totally worth it!
You can either use a pre-made peanut butter, or make one on your own. I tried making my own almond butter, but since my food processor couldn’t really handle it and almost died on me, I decided it would probably be best to use pre-made peanut butter. If you want to go for it, and make your own, I can promise it will taste amazing too!
The peanut butter cups consist of three layers: raw chocolate, peanut butter, and more raw chocolate. So if you make these peanut butter cups you’ll actually have made filled chocolates, that’s pretty cool isn’t it? The first layer of raw chocolate will have to harden before the next to layers are added, so just leave them in the fridge (or outside if it isn’t too hot) until they have hardened a bit. Enough blabbering, let’s get on with the recipe!
– INGREDIENTS –
makes 12 muffin sized peanut butter cups
1/2 cup peanut butter (or other desired nut butter)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
3 tbsp cacao butter, melted
3/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/3 cup agave (or acacia honey)
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
a handful almonds, chopped
– DIRECTIONS –
- Melt coconut oil in a pan. When the coconut oil is fully melted, add cacao butter. Melt completely. Stir together, so the two ingredients are combined.
- Pour into a separate bowl. Add cacao powder, and whisk. Make sure there are no clumps of cacao powder.
- Add agave to the mixture. Whisk well. Add salt.
- Pour mixture into muffin forms. Place in fridge until hardened. Let the raw chocolate sit in room temperature while the chocolate hardens.
- Place approximately one teaspoon peanut butter on each piece of chocolate.
- Pour the remaining chocolate over each peanut butter cup, covering the peanut butter in chocolate.
- Place in fridge and wait for at least 1 hour before enjoying them!